The sales funnel is an important concept for small business owners and marketers to understand. It’s the process that leads customers from being aware of your product or service to becoming a paying customer.
By guiding potential customers through a series of stages, businesses can build trust and credibility with their audience, understand their needs and preferences, and persuade them to take action. Without a sales funnel, businesses may struggle to convert leads into paying customers, resulting in lost revenue and a poor return on investment for their marketing efforts.
By understanding the different stages of the funnel and implementing effective strategies for each stage, businesses can optimize their marketing efforts and increase their chances of success.
The basic steps of a sales funnel are:
- Top of Funnel (TOFU) – This stage is where potential customers hear about your company and its products or services for the first time. You might be using ads on Facebook, Google AdWords, or other channels to drive traffic here. You may also have some kind of website where people can learn more about what you do before they decide whether or not they want to buy anything from you yet.
- Middle Of Funnel (MOFU) – This is where people start considering whether they should buy something from you right now instead of someone else later down in the funnel process; it’s also known as conversion rate optimization because it involves optimizing how well each step works so more people move through this stage successfully without getting distracted along their way through other parts of their decision-making process until eventually reaching BOFU!
- Bottom of Funnel (BOFU) – This is the final stage of the sales funnel where potential customers have made the decision to purchase. The focus here is on making the sale and providing excellent customer service to ensure that customers become loyal advocates of your brand. Strategies at this stage may include offering upsells, providing personalized support, and encouraging customers to leave reviews and referrals.
Top of the Funnel Strategies
- Content creation. Creating content that helps your audience solve problems and provides value is essential to building trust, credibility and authority. This can be done through blog posts, videos or even podcasts. You can also create free tools such as calculators or guides to help customers get started with your product or service.
- Targeted advertising. Once you have created some great content, it’s time to start promoting it! Make sure you’re reaching the right people by using Facebook ads or Google AdWords (or both!). Don’t forget about LinkedIn ads too – they’re a great way for B2B companies like yours to find prospects who are already interested in what you do!
- Email campaigns: Email marketing has been around forever but don’t underestimate its power when it comes down to converting leads into paying customers! Sending out regular emails with tips/tricks/newsletters etc will keep people engaged with what’s happening at the top of the funnel while also reminding them about why they should buy from YOU instead of someone else…
Middle of the Funnel Strategies
- Lead nurturing. This is a process that involves sending out a series of emails to your leads, helping them to get closer to the sale. You can do this by offering a free ebook or white paper, for example, and then following up with more content that addresses their specific needs and interests.
- Targeted offers. This involves making offers based on what you know about each customer’s buying habits, such as offering discounts on products they’ve previously viewed online but not purchased yet or offering an incentive if they buy now rather than later (e.g., “Buy now and get 20% off”).
- Webinars/other interactive content: Webinars are live presentations where you teach people about something relevant to your business–it could be how-to videos on using one of your products or services; tips for getting started with something like social media marketing; etcetera–and then invite them into the webinar room where they can ask questions directly via chat window at any time during presentation
Bottom of the Funnel Strategies
Once you’ve got your funnel set up and running, it’s time to start thinking about what you can do at the bottom of your funnel. The most important thing here is retargeting.
We all know that people who visit websites often don’t buy right away – they need some time to think about it, ask friends for advice, etc. In fact, we know it takes a person seeing a brand 7-10x before they’re comfortable doing business with them. With remarketing/retargeting, if someone visits one of your pages but doesn’t make a purchase immediately – don’t worry there are still ways for you to get in touch with them so that when they do get in the purchase phase of their buying cycle they know exactly who to call. You!
Retargeting involves showing ads for products or services that have already been viewed by potential customers on your website who did not convert into a lead or customer.
These ads will be customized based on whatever information was collected from those first visits: if someone looked at hiking boots but didn’t buy any yet because they wanted more time thinking about it before making a decision then when she goes onto Facebook there might be an ad promoting those same boots with a 30% discount offer attached; if someone searched “best ice cream shops in Atlanta” in Google before visiting your site then we could show him/her an ad saying “Hey! You were looking for ice cream in Atlanta yesterday – why not check us out?”
The idea here is to hit users who have previously shown interest in your products and services, engaged with us online, but have not yet purchased a series of highly relevant ads reminding them who you are and what they were interested in during their last engagement with your brand.
Building an effective sales funnel can be challenging, especially for small businesses with limited time and resources. That’s where The Conversion Mill comes in.
As a digital marketing company, we specialize in helping small businesses meet their revenue goals by improving their online marketing efforts, including SEO, PPC, social media, and email marketing services to create awareness and drive interest, and conversion optimization services to generate better qualified leads and drive sales.
We can help your business build a winning sales funnel that drives conversions and boosts your bottom line.
If you’re ready to start building your sales funnel and improving your online marketing results, contact us today to schedule a consultation.
We work with you to understand your business’s unique needs and develop a customized strategy that meets your goals. Don’t let your competitors get ahead – take action now and start growing your business with The Conversion Mill’s expert digital marketing services.